Saturday, January 21, 2017

Texas Snow

 One thing everybody knows is that Texas is hot in the summertime.  One summer, it was over 100 degrees for 21 days straight.  The tar on the roads melted.  I still have a pair of shoes with tar on them. 
 But, one thing they don't tell you is how cold the winters are, and that it snows a lot.  One winter, it snowed six times in five weeks.  It didn't melt.  It just piled on.  I lived 2 blocks from a grocery store and needed food.  The temperature had gone down to 30 below zero.  It took me twenty minutes to walk two blocks, because I couldn't breathe in the cold.  I did get pretty adept in driving in it later on.
 However, one snow was especially hard.  I lived about 5 miles from my work.  It snowed a lot, and I couldn't get my car out, so I called my work and asked them if they were open.  They said yes, and for me to come on into work.  I had to walk.  The snow drifts were up to my hips.  The cars weren't on the interstate that I would normally take, so I walked on that highway.  It took a couple of hours to get to the mall, and my store.  I finally got there around 2:30 and found that they had closed 20 minutes before I got there.  This was long before cellphones.  Maybe someone thought to invent them because of an event like this one.  I was pretty mad, so I went into a restaurant in the mall that was open, and ate something before trudging back home.  One of those life lessons--if the snow is too deep, don't go to work no matter how much you love your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment