Monday, April 22, 2024

Marcel

  I always wanted to be a Theatre teacher, but it wasn't in the cards.  I learned a lot from my several drama teachers.  Each had their own style, but they all had one thing in common:  their love for the stage.  Actors are a special breed, especially good ones.  I would like to say that I was one of the good ones.  If that sounds egotistical, then you are probably right.  People have told me all along that I was a good actor.  Sometimes, they said I was great.  There is a saying in the Theatre that you are only as good as your last part.  That is so true.  You might be great, but there is always someone wanting to kick you off of that pedestal.  I have my memories.

 One person who was truly great was Marcel Marceau.  He was the best actor as a mime.  Bip the Clown was his main character.  He could create a scene by just using his body and no words.  He was a genius in that field.  I went to see him perform at The Township in Columbia back in the 1980s.  The auditorium wasn't full, but he played to those of us there.  It was a magical night.  His use of classical music in his mime was so beautiful.  

 Mime is taught in most acting classes, and it is extremely hard to perfect.  To create a square box or pulling a rope with just using your imagination is very difficult.  To control the muscles in your arms and legs is a challenge.  Marceau made it look easy.  It was like watching a master artist at work.  It was a joy to behold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment