Monday, April 1, 2024

Carpenters

  I had just graduated from college and was trying to save some money to get a car to go to Ft. Worth, but an act was coming to Columbia that I couldn't pass up.  The Carpenters.  I had been a fan ever since "Close to You" affected my life in 1970.  Their music spoke to me, as I was secretly in love with a girl a few years younger than me.  I couldn't tell her how I felt, so the music did it for me.  I also loved Karen Carpenter's voice.  

 My friend Jimmy's brother-in-law invited us to go.  Our seats were on the floor about six rows back from the stage.  It was a magical night.  Karen sang and played the drums.  Richard played the piano.  One bonus was their other drummer.  He was Cubby O'Brien who was on the original Mickey Mouse Club TV show.  They even had some local schoolchildren come on stage for the song "Sing".  We sang all of their songs from the audience with them.  

 Another friend named Sonny was able to get one of Karen's drumsticks and the cup she drank from after the show.  He sealed them in a plastic bag.  I wonder if he still has them.  They would be worth a lot of money now.  

 It is hard to believe that Karen died less than 10 years after that show.  She was a natural talent.  It is too bad that she felt she was never good enough.  Perfectionism will do that to you.  I know from experience.  People will tell you how great you are, but you know the truth.  At least, you think you do.  Creativity can be a positive force, or it can kill you.  That was Karen Carpenter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment