Monday, September 4, 2023

Quarrymen

  Two guys from a little band in Liverpool during the 1950's crossed my path in 1995 in Chicago.  Their names were Rod Davis and John Duff Lowe.  You may not recognize their names, but you might recognize the names of John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison.  They were all in a little skiffle group called The Quarrymen.  Lennon started the group with Davis and Lowe.  McCartney and Harrison joined later.  The group later became The Beatles with Davis and Lowe continuing on as The Quarrymen along with a couple of others.

 I had gone to Beatlefest in Chicago in 1995.  I had also met Denny Laine there, as well as George Harrison's sister Louise.  There were mostly vendors there selling Beatles merchandise, but there were also famous and semi-famous people there, as well.  Rod and John were there promoting their new CD called "Open for Engagement" and signing copies.  Apparently, most people at the convention didn't know who they were.  I did.

 Rod was sitting at his table all alone.  I went up to him and introduced myself.  We talked for quite a while about the four lads from Liverpool and the history of The Quarrymen.  I told him about my connection with Yoko.  He signed a copy of the CD for me, and John walked up.  He was not as talkative as Rod was, but he still was nice.  He signed my CD, too.  We talked about how much John liked to party, and how much Paul was obsessed with the music.  George just wanted to belong to something and learn to play the guitar. I think they liked John more than the other two. He was more mature. It was great talking with them about the old days before Beatlemania.  Check out their music.  It is pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment