Monday, August 28, 2023

Barracuda

  Sometimes, you meet people just starting out.  Other times, you meet people who have been at it for a long time.  This next set are examples of that.

 The first was Gary Lewis.  He was the frontman of Gary Lewis and the Playboys back in the 60's.  He was also the son of the comedian Jerry Lewis.  Gary had a lot of hits back in the day, but now he was the solo headline act at a free benefit concert at the Township.  Believe it or not, The Shirelles were the opening act.  Then, there was a country artist called Andy Childs who stole the show.  Everyone was so tired of clapping by the time Gary took the stage, he did his best to do a good show.  My Cobbwebs friends, Chris and Del, went with me to the show.  We had really gone to see Gary, but the other acts were really good.  We had brought a tape of our music to give to Gary after the show, so we waited by the stage door for him to come out.  When he did, we were the only ones there.  We talked to him for a few minutes and gave him the tape.  He was very cordial to us and put the tape in his back pocket.  We made a point not to talk to him about his famous father.  He had heard that a lot growing up and was probably sick of it.  We wanted to talk about the music.  Later, we heard from Gary about our tape, and he told us how great it was.  Our original 60's rock and roll touched a chord with him.  He was a nice guy.

 The second was a group called Heart.  Maybe, you've heard of them.  They were playing a show in Fort Worth in 1977.  I wasn't able to go to the show that night, but I took a guess what hotel they would be staying at.  It was the one closest to the venue.  It was also the same hotel that JFK had stayed on November 21, 1963, before being killed the next day.  I went to the hotel early that morning and hung out in the lobby until the band came down to leave.  They were travelling in an old beat-up van.  No planes or limos for them.  I liked them right away.  I held the door for them, as they loaded up the van.  Their drummer was very nice to me, as was Nancy Wilson.  Ann?  Not so much.  The guitar players said thank you, when I opened the door.  Ann?  Not so much.  It would have been a really good time to ask them for their autographs, but I didn't think to do that.  I was surprised that no one else showed up to cheer them leaving.  It was just me and them.  I was respectful, and I think they appreciated that.  Ann?  Maybe not so much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment