Monday, July 17, 2023

Namely

 There have been many people I have met over my lifetime.  As you have seen so far, some are pretty well-known.  Politicians, musicians, actors, and more.  There were two that could have not been any different to me.
 One was Hope Olson.  That name might not be familiar to you, but she was the Playboy Playmate of the Month for October 1976.  She was the first model I had met, and yes I had seen her pictures.  I was working at Sanger Harris Department Store in Fort Worth, and she came to do a personal appearance promoting jeans. I was a little nervous meeting her, but she was very nice.  She was signing pictures of herself (just headshots).  I asked her to sign one for me, and she wrote:  "To Walter, Best of things to you always, Lots of love, Hope Olson".  The picture is on my wall in my bedroom along with other autographed pictures of folks I have gotten over the years.  I had a friend in seminary, and I asked if she could sign one to him thanking him for last night as a joke.  She did it.  I don't know if he still has it, but we thought it was funny.  The last I heard, Hope went back to her home in Wisconsin and got her degree in Early Childhood Education.  
 The different one was Halle Berry.  She was playing one of the female leads in "The Program".  I was working on that film as a football fan. She had only been acting in movies for a couple of years and not obtained the fame she would get later.  To watch her act was like watching paint dry.  She really wasn't very good, but neither was this movie.  At the time, she was married to David Justice who played for the Atlanta Braves.  David had flown up to Columbia from Atlanta to spend some time with his wife on the set.  It was during a lunch break that I saw him standing around, and I went up to him to say hello.  We started talking about baseball, when Halle walked up to us.  She yelled at him and asked why was he talking to me?  She then yelled at me for talking to him.  He tried to tell her that we were just talking about baseball, but she then said some choice words to me, which I will not repeat.  Needless to say, she basically told me to go away, and then she told him that he was there to see her and not me.  She was extremely unprofessional.  They divorced a few years later.  I knew who wore the pants in that family.  She later went on to win the Oscar for "Monster's Ball".  She deserved it.  Her acting had gotten better.  But, she was too much of a diva, when I met her.  I hope she has mellowed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment