Monday, July 24, 2023

Named

  The next two couldn't be more different except for the fame part.  One was an actor who won an Academy Award.  The other was an actress primarily on TV.  One I met on purpose, and the other was by accident.  Both were very interesting people.

 Jack Palance had written a book of poetry and was at a book signing in Columbia.  He had won an Oscar for "City Slickers" and was the epitome of the tough guy on screen.  Before I meet someone famous, I think of something we have in common.  That way, we have something to talk about.  As I was standing in line to meet Jack, I thought of three things we had in common.  We were both actors.  We both knew Yoko Ono.  And, we had both worked with Burt Lancaster.  When it was my turn to get a book signed, I told him my three things.  I told him that Burt taught me how to dance.  With a wry smile, he said that he didn't know Burt knew how to dance.  I told him that he knew enough to teach me.  We had a big laugh over that.  Jack was a very nice guy in person and nothing like the characters he played on the big screen.

 Julie Newmar was best known for playing Catwoman on the "Batman" TV series.  She was on other TV shows including "The Monkees".  She was living in Ft. Worth the same time I was.  I was with some friends to go to the premiere of the movie "Superman".  We got there kind of late and had to sit down front.  It was a big theater.  As being in some movies, I have a habit to watch the end credits to see if I know anyone on the crews.  When the movie was over, my friends left along with almost everyone else.  I looked over to see a woman toward the front looking at the credits.  We were the only two left in the theater.  I realized she was Julie Newmar.  As we were there, I started to get a bit uncomfortable.  I thought it would be best if I left before her, so I walked out.  My friends were running around outside with their arms stretched out like Superman.  I joined in.  I ran around the corner of the theater, and my fist went smack dab into Julie's chest.  It bounced off.  I was really embarrassed and apologized profusely.  She smiled and told me that it was all right.  She was wearing a peach-colored mini dress that was knitted.  She said she noticed me reading the credits, and I told her why.  She said she did the same thing.  We talked for a couple of minutes, and then I rejoined my friends.  She was nice in a lot of ways.  Outside and inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment