Monday, April 24, 2023

Tax

 One of the people that I worked with at the store in Ft. Worth was a girl named Alex.  She couldn't have been taller than 5 feet, but she was very funny, and I liked her company.  We went out some mainly for dinner.  
 Besides her working at the store, she was also a CPA.  Because we hung out a lot, she offered to do my taxes for free.  This was long before one could do them online, because there was no internet back then.  You either had to try and do them yourself, or you could hire a professional to do them.  I had already been audited in the past, so I felt that I needed someone that knew what they were doing.  That was Alex.
 She was being paid by folks to get their taxes done, so she decided to delay doing mine.  After all, I wasn't paying her.  My taxes were really not that hard.  I had a job that paid an hourly wage.  She told me that she could get some deductions for me that I didn't know existed.  The idea of a big refund was enticing.  So, I cut Alex some slack in getting my taxes done.
 As April 15th got closer, I would ask Alex if she had done mine yet.  She would say no and to be patient.  April 13th?  Not yet.  April 14th?  Soon.  April 15th.  Still nothing.  I was sweating bullets.  I had to get my taxes.  I had until midnight to get them in the mail.  If not, I was going to be in trouble with some folks that I shouldn't be.  Especially after Alex had my info for over two months.  At 10pm that night, she called to say she had them ready.  I drove over to her house and picked them up.  I should have owned stock in Tums for the amount I was taking.  I got down to the main post office downtown and dropped off my taxes with about an hour to spare.  I didn't get that big of a refund.
 I moved on from Alex.  I hope she still doesn't procrastinate.  I went back to doing my own taxes.  It was far less stressful, and I filed early after that.  Even though "Procrastination" is my middle name, even that was way too much.  

No comments:

Post a Comment