Monday, April 10, 2023

Rum

 Presbyterian College was much different that Anderson College.  One thing in particular was the availability of alcohol on campus.  If we had been caught drinking on campus at Anderson, it would have been grounds for expulsion.  Or at the very least, suspension.  Anderson was a Baptist school.  Students were paranoid.  The city of Anderson was dry which meant no legal bars in town.  Even when we ordered wine in Rome on our AC college trip, we had to be careful not to breathe on anyone.  

 The first thing I smelled, when I walked into the dorm at PC, was beer.  The school was far more lax about that.  One could drink in the dorms, but they didn't let you have alcohol in the classrooms.  At least, as far as they knew.  I had a class after lunch called Voice & Diction.  It was taught by my Drama teacher.  He was a great director, but he could be boring sometimes as a teacher.  The one thing they let us do was to bring cokes into the class after lunch.  Somebody got the idea to add a little rum to the cokes.  At the time, rum was my liquor of choice.  Even though this was not my idea, I have to say it helped get through a boring class.  Those of us who did this laughed at all of our teacher's jokes.  Even when they weren't funny.  We were drunk.  He never knew that he wasn't funny.  We just laughed.  

 I can't say I learned a lot in that class.  Except for maybe Diphthongs.  And, how not to slur words.  If anyone is a teacher and lets students bring sodas or water into class, you might want to check the containers.  Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment