Monday, June 20, 2022

Harbison

  There is perhaps a little-known gem in the Columbia area.  It is the Harbison Theatre on the campus of Midlands Tech in Irmo.  It is a relatively small place, maybe 200 or so seats.  The intimacy of the place provides a close-up view of the stage.  The front row is almost right on the stage.  

 I had heard that a traveling group from Second City in Chicago would be performing.  If you are not familiar with Second City, it is the premier improvisational group in the country.  Many performers on Saturday Night Live came from Second City including John Belushi, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, Dan Aykroyd, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Aidy Bryant and more.  The group coming to Columbia was not as famous as those, but they might be one day.  Back in 1975, I directed an improvisational group at PC as part of my Senior project.  The concept was not well known back then, but it has come into its own now.

 I took the bus to Walmart in Harbison, which was the last stop on the route.  I had to walk the rest of the way to the theatre, which was about a 45-minute walk with very little sidewalks and a lot of uphill challenges.  Due to my breathing issues, I have a hard time with walking uphill.  I was determined to get there.  I was sitting on the second row and scared that they would ask for audience participation.  In the Theatre, there is an old adage that you are only as good as your last role.  My last role had been eight years before.  I thoroughly enjoyed this group of young actors.  They put on a great show.

 Now for another confession.  I like to go to concerts at night.  One of the things I did, when working with the Comet bus system, was getting them to run buses until midnight.  The defense was to get workers to third-shift jobs.  My ulterior motive was to go to night events.  They put the late-night run in for some routes, including mine, so I was able to take the 45-minute walk from the theatre back to Walmart and get my bus to take me home.  After all, a cab ride would have been close to $30.  

 The next show I went to there was pretty close to Heaven.  Two acts from New Orleans and one from Alabama.  Irma Thomas, the New Orleans Preservation Hall Jazz Band, and the Five Blind Boys of Alabama.  What a magical night.  By now, the Comet had discontinued the late-night run due to lack of ridership.  I had to catch a ride with a friend back home.  However, I proposed a new route for the Comet.  Service to the Harbison Midlands Tech.  So, if I ever wanted to go to that theatre again, I could.  Unfortunately, the pandemic hit, and performances were cut.  Of course, my motive for that route also included Parkridge Hospital, Riverland Hills Baptist Church, and Frankie's Fun Park.  It would be great if more people would ride that route, but it is there for those who want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment