Monday, May 2, 2022

Dome

  King Day at the Dome is a special occasion in Columbia.  It brings people from around the area to the State House to celebrate the like of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  Usually, it is held outside on the front steps, unless it is raining.  On this 2020 day, it wasn't raining.  It was just bone-chilling cold.  Why is it that these major events are either too hot or too cold? 

 Almost all of the Democratic Presidential candidates were there.  Pete Buttigieg marched from a downtown church with the others to the State House, but he had to leave.  I did get to see him, though.  The others were Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Tom Steyer, Tulsi Gabbard, and Amy Klobuchar.  

 Each one had a few minutes to speak.  Most of the candidates came from Northern states, so I guess they were used to the freezing temperatures.  Except for Tulsi.  She was from Hawaii.  I don't know how many layers of clothing she had on, but it was a lot.  Each candidate got a warm South Carolina welcome, except for Tom Steyer.  No candidate can win, if they promise the sun, moon and stars.  I liked Amy's smile.  She seemed genuine.  Bernie was Bernie.  Tulsi spoke about helping veterans.  After her speech, I went over to where she was taking pictures with people.  I waited my turn and told her that I hoped she would work for homeless veterans.  I told her about homeless friends of mine who had trust issues and needed help.  She said she would.  She was very attractive.  Too bad that her views were a little too out there for most voters.  And, I didn't get a picture with her.  

 This event was right before the SC Presidential primary.  A lot of candidates had to drop out for lack of money.  Joe won our primary.  He stayed in the race.  He credits our primary in giving him momentum to move forward.  He did.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment