Thursday, April 4, 2019

TV's

 I had worked in Luggage at Rich's for a couple of months when an opening came up in the TV Department.  My supervisor put me there.  I sold TV's and stereos primarily, and I loved it.  I grew up with TV.  From Howdy Doody to the present.  My co-worker's name was Thom.  He told me the first day that I wouldn't want to turn on the TV, when I got home.  I thought he was crazy.  He wasn't.  When I got home from work, the last thing I wanted to do was watch TV.  I had done it all day.
 Due to my vast video library at home, I brought in some movies to watch during the day.  I also made some movie and music clips to play to promote the TV's we sold.  Yeah, that was the reason.  The real reason was I couldn't stand to watch network TV during the day.  Thom liked movies too, although he got in trouble for playing "Basic Instinct" in the department.  He had gotten a promo copy and had never seen it before.  We also played "Batman" that we had gotten from Blockbuster.  Little did we know that someone had tacked on some of "Debbie Does Dallas" at the end of that tape.  Our supervisor loved "Top Gun" and demanded we play that.  We saw "Top Gun" probably 100 times.  It was kind of cool to turn up the sound at the beginning to hear the jets taking off.  That would rattle your fillings.
 We had a part-timer join our department.  He wanted to bring in some videos to play.  I told him that there were a few rules.  First, the video had to be in color to promote the TV's.  I had wanted to bring in The Three Stooges and the Marx Brothers, but they were in black and white.  The second rule was no excessive violence.  The third rule was no profanity.  I learned my lesson, when I brought in a Crosby, Stills & Nash documentary that I had not seen.  At one point in the video, David Crosby called Stephen Stills a (paraphrasing) "Effen A-Hole".  Just when that happened, a little boy and his mother were passing by the TV.  The little boy shouted "Mama, he said the F word".  He said that several times for the whole downstairs of the store to hear.  I didn't bring that video anymore.  And, the last rule was no nudity.  So, it was on a Sunday afternoon.  I was on one side of the department, writing up an order for a TV.  The big-screen TV was on the other side.  Suddenly, I heard a lot of laughter.  I looked up to see a woman emerging from a bath completely nude.  The film was "Death Becomes Her", which had been brought in by our part-timer.  I ran to the TV but couldn't get there quick enough to turn it off.  Needless to say, we banned him from bringing in any more movies.
 Thom and I averaged selling around a million dollars of merchandise, but Rich's made a corporate decision to get out of selling TV's and stereos companywide.  There just was no markup on the merchandise.  So, we had to sell off the stuff.  That was sad.  After that was done, we were transferred to other departments.  I went to Lamps, and he went to rugs.  Our departments were next to one another.  We played a lot of trivia games during the boredom.  No more fun in TV's.  I went back to watching TV, when I got home in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment