Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Pyramid

 During the late 90's, I was trying my best to find money.  I was working at Rich's, but it was not nearly enough for my lifestyle after declaring bankruptcy.  I found an ad in the back of a magazine about making millions.  That appealed to me.
 I wrote to the address, and I got instructions on how to make millions.  I had gotten books on how to make millions, but there were a lot of hoops you would have to do like by stocks or get grants from the government.  This notion was better.  I was to buy a mailing list from a company.  They assured me that all of the addresses on this list were people who would do the same as me.  Gullible people.
 I paid $100 for the list.  I also bought a roll of stamps and some envelopes.  The idea was to send $1 to five people, and then move your name up one on this form letter.  Based on a series of steps, it was possible to make a million dollars in $1 increments.  Maybe this was true in theory but not in actuality.
 I spent around $150 for everything and mailed my letters.  The form letter told the addressee to send $1 to the person that sent this to them, and then move their name one spot up on the list of five.  Confused yet?  I know I was.  In the end, I got $1 from a woman in Kansas.  That was it.  I guess the "gullible" people knew more than me.  I also wrote a film company in Kuwait and asked them for money.  I never heard back.  I never heard back from Oprah either.

No comments:

Post a Comment