Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Caregiver Part Two

 My Mother got out of rehab after her stroke.  She was doing pretty well, but she needed someone to stay with her during the day.  My father did that mostly during the week along with a woman he hired.  On Sundays, Daddy was the interim pastor of a church, so I was put in charge of being with Mother on Sunday mornings.  As I wrote earlier, I was very active in the church and a big part of the Singles Sunday School Department.  Since I could no longer go to church, most people knew the situation and supported me in my decision.
 About six months after my Mother's stroke, I got a letter in the mail from my Sunday School class.  It was from a woman that I didn't know, and she apparently didn't know me.  She wrote that they missed me being in Sunday School and hoped everything was all right with me.  She had no clue why I had been gone.  Two of the church's ministers had hurt me by ignoring me at the hospital, and now this woman had written me a somewhat generic letter of concern.  I had grown up in that church.  I had been very active in that church.  Now, I felt the church was turning its back on me.
 My friend Del was a member at St. Andrews Baptist Church.  I also knew the pastor quite well, because he used to be my pastor at my old church.  I joined St. Andrews.  I liked that church a lot, even though I was not as active as my previous church.  Later on, we got a new minister who liked to have Drama done during services.  A friend and I started a Drama group in the church.  I wrote several skits that were used to support the pastor's sermons.  I stayed at that church for almost 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment