Monday, March 6, 2017

Disco

 My father was against dancing.  He was against other stuff like card playing and rock music.  So, when disco became popular, I was right there.  I loved disco music.  It made me very happy.  I sold disco music at the store.  I played disco music in the store, and we all danced to it.  It made time go by quicker.  We played disco music at parties.  It made drinking more fun.  In fact, when I got drunk, I did a mean impression of Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy".  Everything was disco.
 In Ft. Worth, all of the clubs played disco music.  There were two main clubs devoted to disco.  One was for the college crowd near TCU, and the other was for the upscale crowd closer to downtown.  I preferred the TCU club, but I took dance lessons at the upscale club.  When I would go to the TCU club, I usually went with someone else from seminary.  Because we went there to drink and watch the dancers "dance", we would bring pocket Bibles and Christian pamphlets with us just in case someone from the seminary saw us coming outside.  We could say we were witnessing to the clubgoers.  We weren't though, and thankfully a confrontation never happened.
 Another club that played disco a lot was the bar inside the mall where I worked.  Kare and I went to that club a lot, and they took requests.  My go-to request was "Macho Man" by the Village People.  For the first 50 times, the DJ played it, but then I started noticing that when we would come into the bar, I would see the DJ hide the record and then tell me he didn't have it that night.  I'd get drunk and yell out "Play Macho Man"!  I got a bit obnoxious. 
 It was a party  every night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment