Monday, July 1, 2024

Fame

  One of my goals in Life was to be famous.  I grew up in a world of TV and movies.  I loved both as far back as I can remember.  My parents used the TV as a babysitter.  I watched everything.  I wanted that for me, too.  I wanted people to adore me as much as those people on the screen.  I started reading, when I was 3.  It was in the great literature called the newspaper comics.  By the age of 5, I was writing.  I wrote a TV commercial for OK Cereal starring Yogi Bear.  I sent into the advertising people, and they told me to come back in 18 years.  By then, OK Cereal was no more.  In the 4th grade, I wrote a song called "People".  A few months later, Herman's Hermits had a song called "Listen People".  It was remarkably like my song, but I didn't know anything about copyrighting at that time.  I knew I was creative, and I knew that was a step to being famous.

 By the time I got to junior high, my peers started calling me a loser.  They said I wouldn't amount to anything.  Even my high school guidance counselor told me that.  I started to believe them.  I had successes in high school Speech tournaments, but I wasn't famous.  I did find from that experience that I also had a talent for being someone else, which brought me to acting.  I didn't have to be me anymore.  I could escape into a character on the stage.  I got applause for my work.  People told me I was good.  In some circles, I had achieved fame.  But, I wanted everyone to know my name.

 I got roles in movies and on television.  I did commercials, too.  Some people would recognize me on the street, which was flattering, but I still wasn't famous.  At least, not in my mind.  I also had success in retail.  I sold more stuff than anybody in several departments.  I got a lot of awards, but I didn't see myself as famous.  

 Then one day, I realized something in talking to an actress friend from California.  She was famous.  People knew her from her name and her face.  She had loads of money from her work, but she told me something that struck me.  She wanted privacy.  Sure, she wanted to work and support her family, but she also wanted to go to the grocery store without being hounded by fans.  She wanted a life.  I told her that fame is put on you by others.  You are not famous by yourself.  Others put that moniker on you.  It is still good to work at your craft, but you are you.  No one can take that away from you.  

 For most people, fame is something one might have right now, but maybe not when History is written.  I appreciate people telling me how talented I am.  I may have attained fame in some circles.  However, it is no longer important for me to be famous.  I am me.  The rest is gravy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment