Monday, January 1, 2024

Zoom

  With the advent of modern technology, it has become possible to meet someone via Zoom without having to be in their physical presence.  The interaction is still there, even if there is no firm handshake or hug.  Being seen and heard by someone else on a one-to-one basis still counts in my book.  Such was the day I met two giants in the journalism field.

 I had been invited to participate in a discussion on mentoring by Ashleigh Banfield.  She has worked for NBC, MSNBC, CNN, Court TV and now NewsNation.  She was hosting a Zoom meeting to inspire young journalists by inviting people to the meeting who had made an impact on TV or Radio journalism.  She would let the participants ask questions of the guests during the meeting.  She was very approachable, as well as extremely funny.  Professionals need to learn to laugh at themselves at times, and then know when it is time to get serious.  

 Her first guest on the program was Shepard Smith.  He had worked for Fox News for many years but resigned over his journalistic integrity.  He later worked for CNBC.  My question to him was about the difference between journalists who just read teleprompters versus those professionals who care about their work and what comes out of their mouths.  I waved to him, when my question was asked, so that he would know who asked it.  He waved back and then called me by name when answering the question.  He said he left Fox just for the reason that my question was raised.  He was very interesting.

 When the Zoom call was over, I gave him a thumbs up, and he gave one back at me.  I have participated with other of Ashleigh's meetings including one with Dan Rather.  I wasn't able to ask my question which was about Texas, which is where he is from, but he was very good.  Ashleigh and I comment back and forth on chat during the meetings, so she knows who I am.  When Dan Abrams was on the call, he would be talking about legal journalism, while she and I were chatting back and forth about how great On Patrol Live was, and how I knew Curtis Wilson on that show.  

 Meeting someone in person is the best way to go.  Meeting someone online is almost as good.  One day, they will invent a procedure to reach through the screen and shake someone's hand for real.  I hope I live to see that day, although it might be kind of creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment