Monday, December 4, 2023

Bees

  The next group has one thing in common, and probably only one.  Their last name begins with "B".  One was primarily a singer.  One was primarily in politics.  And, one was a professional golfer.  

 The first was Pat Boone.  He came to Columbia to make a personal appearance in opening a restaurant.  This was in the early 1960's, so I was just a kid.  I remember he smiled a lot and had a California tan.  He shook my hand and asked my name.  I told him, and he said he was happy to meet me.  I can't say he was sincere about that, but he seemed that way.  I also remember he was taller than me, but pretty much all adults at that time were taller than me.  

 The second was James Brady.  He had been President Reagan's press secretary and had been shot in the head during the failed assassination attempt on Reagan.  He and his wife visited my church in 1983 on the same day as the Marines' barracks bombing in Lebanon.  That is how I remember that day.  Brady was in a wheelchair.  He could talk a little, and he still had a very firm handshake.  I was an usher at church that day and helped bring him into the sanctuary.  His wife was very protective of his welfare.  Brady was known for his sense of humor, and he didn't disappoint.  He was an inspiration to us all for not giving up.

 The third was Mark Brooks.  I met him, when he was 16 in Ft. Worth.  His mother taught public speaking and drama at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.  She and I developed the curriculum for a Communications major at our school.  She was a great teacher.  She invited me to have dinner at their home a few times.  Mark and his sister were there, along with his mother and father.  Mark was in high school and obsessed with golf.  He didn't want to eat as much as he wanted to hit golf balls outside.  At one dinner, he was squirming so much that his mother told him that he would have to finish his dinner before leaving to hit balls outside.  He reluctantly did so, and then he bolted out of the door.  Even in the dark, he was hitting balls.  He embarrassed his mother for not being more polite at the dinner table, but practice made perfect.  Mark went on to the University of Texas and excelled in golf.  He turned pro and won several tournaments including the Bob Hope, the PGA Championship, and more.  He came in second at the U.S. Open one year.  He also holds the PGA record for the most starts in tournaments (803).  I guess his being "rude" at dinner paid off.

 Three people who were famous in their own chosen fields.  And, all three knew that God had given them talents to share with others.  And, they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment