Monday, November 6, 2023

Wannabes

  Why does a person want to run to be the President of the United States?  Maybe because he or she wants to make this country and world a better place.  That is a noble idea.  Maybe because their ego needs to be fed.  That is a misplaced idea.  Maybe because someone suggested that it would be a good idea.  That could not be a good idea.  Whatever the reason, it can be a grueling process and extremely expensive.  

 One of those candidates was Barry Goldwater.  He ran for President in 1964 on the Republican ticket.  His opponent was the incumbent Lyndon Johnson who became the President after the death of President Kennedy.  My parents and I were on a special tour of the U.S. Capitol.  Our guide was Senator Strom Thurmond who was a distant relative of ours.  It was the summer of 1964.  We were on a private elevator.  The doors opened, and there was Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona.  My mother almost fainted.  She liked Barry Goldwater.  He shook her hand, and she didn't wash it for the rest of the day.  He also shook my hand and asked my name.  I remember it was a very firm handshake.  Strom explained to Barry who we were, and why we were in the private elevator.  They had a laugh over it.  Barry lost in a landslide to Lyndon in the Presidential election.

 Another of those candidates was Nikki Haley.  She ran for President in 2024.  At this writing, she is in the race and running against Donald Trump for the nomination.  In my opinion, she is a long shot to get the nomination, but you never know in politics.  I met Nikki at the South Carolina State Fair in 2009.  I was working for Andre Bauer to be the next Governor of South Carolina.  Nikki was running 5th in a 5-person race to be the Republican nominee for Governor.  I won't go into detail about her candidacy, but I will say that she was very sure of herself.  I can't say she was very personable, but she knew what she wanted.  She and I have encountered one another for several years at various events.  I can't say that all have been pleasant.  We have had our ups and downs, but she does have a path to become the nominee for President.  Maybe after the primaries, I will write a postscript.  Maybe not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment