Monday, October 9, 2023

Senators

  I have been fortunate, or maybe cursed, to meet a lot of interesting people over the years.  Politicians can be some of the most interesting.  After all, they can be your best friend and your worst enemy all at the same time.  Some can be inspiring, while others can be disappointing.  It isn't so much in their personalities, but rather in their actions.  Here, we have an inspiration and one not so much.

 It was 1959, and my father took me to what would be the last "Big Thursday" football game between the University of South Carolina and Clemson University.  Out in the parking lot stood a giant of a man.  He was Olin Johnston who was a U.S. Senator from South Carolina.  My father knew him, because we were somehow related.  I was 6 years old, and I looked up at him.  I could barely see his face.  It seemed like his face was in the clouds.  He leaned down to me and shook my hand.  He said he was glad to meet me.  I don't know if he really was glad, but he came across as he did.  We talked for a few minutes, and then we went into the stadium for the game.  He was the first Senator that I remember meeting.  It was a big deal for me.

 Through the years since that encounter, I have met other senators and congressmen.  In 2009, I met another one whose name was Lindsey Graham.  He also was a U.S. Senator from South Carolina.  I was working for Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer in his bid to become the Governor for South Carolina.  I was getting ready to be in a parade and walk the length of it passing out stickers to children.  I saw Senator Graham getting into a convertible to ride in the parade.  I went over to him and introduced myself.  He was very warm in meeting me.  I told him that I was working for Andre Bauer, and he was very complimentary of Andre.  I went back to a fellow worker and told him what Lindsey had said.  My compadre told me that Lindsey would have said that about a dog catcher, if it meant he could get some votes.  

 Our paths would cross a few times after that day in 2009.  I talked with him again in 2018 at my church.  Lindsey and Senator John McCain were close friends.  We all knew that McCain was near death.  President Donald Trump had said some bad things about Senator McCain that didn't sit well with Lindsey Graham.  I saw Lindsey at my church and went up to him after the service.  He said he remembered me.  I guess he did.  I asked him to stand up to President Trump, and he said he would.  After McCain died, Lindsey went back on his word.  It really wasn't unusual for him.  

 Both senators in this story were good politicians.  They knew how to work the voters.  One had integrity.  The other maybe not so much.  Both could tell you what you wanted to hear.  One with respect.  The other maybe not so much.  One had strong convictions.  The other looked to see which way the wind was blowing.  That is the nature of politics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment