Monday, December 5, 2022

Rituals

  I am a very shy person.  For those who know me, that statement doesn't come as a surprise.  As far as I can remember, I have always been shy.  It may be one reason why I have never married.  I am afraid of relationships getting serious.  I have learned to put on a front around people I don't know.  And if I seem aloof to a person, it isn't that I am.  It is because I'm shy.  I am more comfortable being around myself than to be around others.  

 So, when the drama bug bit me in 1971, I was shocked just like everyone else.  I found that I could be someone else on a stage and be pretty good at it.  If I was on that stage as me, it was a whole different ballgame.  I had started public speaking in high school.  I learned how to speak before an audience.  The words came out of my mouth, but I tried to not make eye contact with the audience.  I didn't want to see them seeing me.  By being an actor, I had to maneuver around that fear.  I also came to find out that many other actors shared my fear.  The fear manifested itself in different ways.  It was the fear of messing up.  I found that to be true in the 4th grade, when I messed up my lines in a Christmas play at school.  Or, when I messed up my lines in a Christmas play at church in 1970.  It was also the fear of the audience not liking my performance.  It was also the fear of being on a stage, and people looking at me.  

 In 1972, I was given the male lead of a play at the last minute.  The other actor had left school just a few days before opening night.  I knew the lines, but I also knew that the play depended on me doing a good job.  It was the first time I had gotten a lead in a play. I cut my classes and crammed for it.  On opening night, I was sitting backstage in terror.  The other actors were supportive, but I had to perform.  I found a dark corner and prayed.  I asked God, "Please let me do a good job.  Please take away my fears.  Give me clarity of mind and may someone in the audience like what I do."  I felt a calmness come over me.  I went out on stage and did what I had to do.  I didn't get a particularly good review from the theatre critic of the local newspaper, but the next night was better.

 After that, I prayed the same prayer before every performance I did.  Before every play.  Before every time I had to do public speaking as me.  Before every movie or TV role.  My acting and public speaking talents are God-given to me.  He knows how I can use my life experiences to be a better actor or public speaker.  Prayer works.

 Even though I pray before going out on stage, there is the human side of doubt and that brings me to stage fright.  I have always been afraid of going out there.  For example, I don't like to eat a full meal before going on stage, because I get sick to my stomach with fear.  I am a nervous wreck.  So, there are rituals I do before making an entrance.  These rituals have evolved over time, and I have added some along the way.  I use the same makeup towel.  It may or may not have ever been washed.  Let me just say that it can stand up on its own.  I do exercises before going on stage.  I do vocal exercises, where I make noises that make no sense.  I also recite the alphabet forwards and backwards.  I do physical exercises by tensing and relaxing muscles.  I try and get the stress out of my body by moving around my legs, fingers and shoulders.  To get energy going, I jump up and down.  A woman at a church thought I was being charismatic, but the director assured her that I was just warming up.  Then, I get in a place away from everyone else and run through the first couple of lines to myself and say my prayer.  When I go out on stage, all of that fear is channeled into energy.  My talents kick in.  After the play is over, I go backstage to take off my makeup.  I use the same remover--Merle Norman cold cream.  It is part of my ritual.  

 I will get praise from my acting work.  People will tell me how great I was.  If they saw me backstage before that performance, they would see this guy who is a mess.  My mother used to tell me how shocked she was to see me on stage that first time.  Who was this shy person?  I ask the same question.  I am an actor.  I know how to be an actor.  I know all of the mechanics on what to do on stage.  I am not me.  If one sees me out in public, I may be acting still.  That's what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment