Monday, August 8, 2022

Shoulda

  I had been getting these pop-up messages that I had to renew my computer's virus protection from a company I no longer used.  Some of the messages told me that I should renew the expired protection.  These pop-ups were annoying.  I would just delete the message and move on.  The constant barrage of these messages became very annoying, so one morning I clicked on the link.  My goal was to tell these people I no longer wanted their product.  It was early November, 2021.

 All of a sudden, my computer started making these awful sounds.  They were very loud.  I couldn't cut off my computer.  It wouldn't let me.  A phone number popped up and said it was Microsoft.  My computer had been infected with a virus, and I needed to call the number.  I panicked.  The noise caused me not to think clearly.  I called the number.  A woman on the other end identified herself as working for Microsoft.  I asked her how I could end that terrible noise, and she told me which buttons to push.  I did what she told me to do, and it stopped.  I thanked her, and she told me that she would transfer me to a technician who could rid my computer of the virus.

 A man came on the phone and started to walk me through how he was going to rid my computer of the virus.  He would need to "take over" the computer and needed my password.  I was not thinking clearly at this point, so I gave it to him.  My screen started going through a lot of steps.  I was seeing all of my files flash before my eyes.  It looked like a science fiction movie.  After a couple of hours of this, he told me that he had removed the virus.  He recommended a comprehensive virus protector and would transfer me to a man who could help me with that.  I was feeling suspicious, but I still was in panic mode.  

 Another man came on the phone and said he was with a company based in Charlotte.  He wanted to sell me the complete package for $1500.  I told him that I didn't have that kind of money.  He told me that there was a package for $750 and asked if I could afford that one.  I told him that I had a credit card.  He asked me to give him the credit card number.  I was reluctant to do that, so I told him that I would call the credit card company.  He wanted to stay on the line, while I did that.  I called the company, but they told me they couldn't authorize a large payment like that.  They seemed to know who that was.  I told the man that the credit card company wouldn't authorize the charge.  He asked me if my bank would do it.  I told him I didn't have enough in the bank to cover it.  He asked how much I could afford to spend, and I told him $437.  He said that would be good, and that I could pay the rest later.  I gave him my bank account number, and it went through.  Looking back on it, I know that was stupid, but he just made it so I was having a problem thinking straight.

 I had written down all of the information and phone numbers during this ordeal.  It had been going on for about six hours.  I was mentally exhausted.  Around 5:30 that afternoon, I got a phone call from a man claiming to be from my bank.  He identified himself as an account representative.  I asked him why he was calling now, after the bank had closed, and he said that he hadn't left the office yet.  While I had him on the phone, I looked up the number on my computer and found the number was to the branch in Kingstree, SC.  I asked him why he got the issue and not the Columbia office.  He said he didn't know, but he could help me.  While we were talking, I asked him how long he had been working at the Kingstree branch.  He told me that it had been three years.  I asked him if he had been to Charleston, which was about an hour away from there, and he said no.  I knew this was fake.  I thanked him for his call, but I would go to my bank in person the next day and take care of things.

 The next day, I took the bus out to my bank's branch to report the incident.  They told me that I had been scammed, and my financial data had been compromised.  I asked if they could put a hold on the $437, but they said no.  However, they could file a claim against the withdrawal, but that would take three months.  I had to change my account number and get a new debit card.  I also told them about the Kingstree call, and they told me that their security office would take care of that.  The crook had ghosted that phone number.  My bank was very nice in dealing with this massive problem that I had gotten myself into.  

 There was a computer repair store near my bank, so I went to them to ask them what I should do.  They also knew about the scam and told me to bring in my laptop that afternoon, which I did.  Their technician cleaned everything from my computer including malware that the crooks had placed on my computer.  I changed all of my passwords which was laborious.  I called my credit card company and asked them to close out my old account and issue me a new one.  They told me to call Equifax and put a freeze on my credit to avoid the crooks trying to open a new credit card in my name.  I also contacted the computer company in Charlotte and told them that someone was using their company to steal money from people.  I also filed a police report and contacted the Feds.  I didn't know how I would cope without $400 in my bank account, because I live on a fixed income.  Out of the blue, a friend called me.  I hadn't talked to him in several years.  He just wanted to see how I was doing.  I told him what had happened, and he asked what my mailing address was.  He sent me a check to cover the loss.  God had His hand in that.

 After talking to some people about that incident, I got advice from some.  I should have not called that "Microsoft" number but rather a real Microsoft number.  I should have taken the battery out of my laptop and taken it directly to a repair shop.  I should have not given my financial information to the crook.  Shoulda, Shoulda, Shoulda!  I'll know if it happens again.  This is a cautionary tale to anyone that it happens to.  Don't panic.  Just shoulda.

No comments:

Post a Comment