Monday, July 12, 2021

Bluff

  I had put all of my stuff in storage at a place off of Bluff Road in Columbia, while I was homeless.  When I got off of the street, it became necessary to get my stuff back and put it in my new apartment.  There was a bus stop within 50 feet of my door.  The bus would go into town, and then the bus route number would change to reflect going to Bluff Road, but I didn't need to change buses.  There was a stop right across the street from the storage place.  I had to cross four lanes of traffic, but it wasn't too bad.  After picking up some stuff, I could get back on the bus the next hour and go back to my apartment without having to change buses.  It worked out well.

 I took my backpack on my trips, which averaged 3 times a week.  I would pick up clothes, videotapes, records, books, and other things.  It actually took about eight months to get everything moved.  My best friend for 20 years agreed to help me with some of the bigger stuff like bookcases, and my bed frame.  He had been wanting my "A Hard Day's Night" framed movie poster, and I agreed to give it to him as payment to help me move my stuff.  The poster was worth some money, but I was willing to let it go.  If you would recall, my friend's name was Del.  He was 1/3 of The Cobbwebs band.  After he helped with two trips of the big stuff, I gave the poster to him.  He didn't help any more.  A couple of months after that, Del wrote on Facebook some criticism about his brother.  I contacted his brother to say I was sorry about what Del wrote.  His brother told Del that I had said something, and Del got mad at me.  He didn't want anything to do with me, despite our 20-year friendship.  He also got mad at Chris, who was also 1/3 of The Cobbwebs, because Chris took Del's brother's side.  The Cobbwebs basically ended as a band after that, at least in its current form.  I don't think Del realized that putting something out on social media means everyone can see it.  Anyway, Del won't speak to Chris or me.  No communication whatsoever.  I did see him at a Newt Gingrich rally at the State House a couple of years later.  I was shaking Newt's hand.  Del was about three feet from me.  I said hello.  He looked right through me.  In going through the South Carolina Treasurer's website of unclaimed money, I saw that Del had some money coming to him.  I emailed him to tell him about it but got no response from him.  I heard from someone that he would see the email was from me, so he wouldn't open it.  I eventually wrote a letter to his parents and asked them to tell Del about the money.  I have often wondered whatever happened to Del.  He was a good friend.  We had a lot in common.  I even tried apologizing to him for something I didn't do, but he wouldn't open the email or a letter I wrote to him.  He would enjoy seeing my collectibles now.  His loss.

 I finally was able to get the last of my stuff from storage with the help of my friend Weesie.  We threw a lot of stuff away like stereo equipment and big speakers.  I closed out my account with the storage facility, and I could finally call my apartment home.  Oh, I also heard later that Del sold the movie poster, because he needed the money.  It was worth about $2000.  I don't think Del got that.  All the best, Del.

No comments:

Post a Comment