Monday, June 21, 2021

Support

  There were some homeless people who had tried USC Supportive Housing, but had dropped out of the program.  They didn't like jumping through their hoops.  When one is homeless, there is a sense of freedom.  There is very little community responsibility.  You just have to find out where to eat and where to sleep.  The rest of the day is spent filling up the time by walking around or going to the library.  You have to develop a sense of discipline to be in that program.  And, there needs to be a level of trust on both sides.  They need to trust you that you will follow their rules.  You need to trust them that they will keep you housed.

 I had to go to meetings at their office once or twice a week.  They gave constructive counseling on living a life off of the street and getting back into society.  I went through a 12-step AA program there.  Even though I hadn't had any alcohol in 11 years, I knew it was easy to relapse.  They also had an NA meeting.  I hadn't had any illegal drugs since 1981, but I have an addictive personality.  I have tried to stay strong, but it only would take one time for me to go back into those depths again.  I was assigned a case manager who visited my apartment once a month, and I would see her in the office once a month.  So, we would visit every two weeks.  She also would inspect my apartment to make sure I was following the rules.  The main rule was not to let anyone live with you.  I had homeless friends who wanted to do that.  It was hard to say no.

 Once a month, I would visit with their licensed therapist.  We would talk about stuff.  Sometimes, I would laugh or cry during those sessions.  She helped me with the transition.  We also had group therapy with others in the program.  I got to meet some great people who had gone through what I had.  We helped each other.  One man in particular was a guy named Mickey.  He had a 4th grade education and could barely read.  He had a great spirit about him and loved life.  Another guy named Duck had been on the street for a long time.  They helped me in figuring out how to become real again.  Mickey went onto get his GED.  

 I grew to love the folks who worked for USC Supportive Housing.  So much so that I encouraged others in my circle of homeless friends to get into the program, too.  One did.  His name was Marcus.  I'll write more about him later.  God sent these helpers to me as His angels.  Yes, angels do exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment