Monday, January 11, 2021

Baby

  I loved going to the Greenville Zoo.  It wasn't as big as Riverbanks in Columbia, but I got to get in free, because I was a member of Riverbanks.  (Not a resident, just a member)  

 The Greenville Zoo had animals such as giraffes, elephants, monkeys, ducks, alligators, snakes and much more.  I was there one day when a group of young school kids went on a tour.  I was sitting outside the snake house.  The kids were laughing on the way in and screaming on the way out.  The snakes were behind glass, but it was fun to see their reactions.  I also loved going down to see the ducks.  They sort of shared a pond with the alligator.  I never saw an incident thankfully.

 One of the animals they have are orangutans.  They are pretty intelligent beings.  I was there one day after the female had given birth.  As I approached the fence, the female saw me.  She had her baby in her arms.  She walked down to me and reached out her arms to show me her baby.  It was a very sweet moment.  Mama was very proud of her baby, as opposed to the Daddy.  He was further back in the enclosure playing with a paper bag.  When I saw Mama show me her baby, I felt I had to react.  I smiled and touched my chest near my heart.  She smiled.  I nodded my head in appreciation.  After a few minutes of admiration, she turned and walked away with her baby.  I waved goodbye and headed on back to other parts of the zoo.  It was a very moving experience.  She was so proud of her baby, and she wanted to share it with me.  It was one of those "ah" moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment