Monday, December 28, 2020

Trips

  This entry doesn't have anything to do with some illegal substances I might have taken, when I was much younger.  I plead the 5th on that.  This is about some places I went while in Greenville.  The great thing about that area is that one can go to a variety of places within one to two hours.

 I love the mountains.  They are very calming for me.  I love the fact that it is not too terribly hot in the summer, and the winter has snow sometimes.  Of course, the fall leaves are amazing.  And, the spring flowers are breathtaking.  One of the places I went to was Hendersonville and Flat Rock in NC.  Downtown Hendersonville was having this Art Fair.  I went up there for that, and also found a cool record store there.  I was just passing through Flat Rock, where there is a world-class theatre.  I went there once, when I was little, because my cousin was working there.  Flat Rock was very congested, because it is only a two-lane road through there.  Also, there is the Robert Frost home.  I wanted to tour it, but I didn't have the time.  Back at Macy's, I worked with a woman named Peggy.  When she was younger, she was at a youth camp near Flat Rock.  One day, she and a friend went to Frost's home and knocked on the door.  He came to the door, and they chatted for a few minutes.  Pretty cool.

 Another place in the mountains is Pretty Place at Camp Greenville near Caesar's Head.  It is an outdoor chapel.  You can refer back to the story early on, where I had a vision of Heaven there as an attendee of the camp.  On this day, I arrived when a couple was getting married.  My two most beautiful places I have visited is Rheinfall in Switzerland and Pretty Place.  The latter doesn't cost as much to visit.

 One day, I wanted to find Mr. Vivian's gravesite.  He was my Speech and Drama teacher at Anderson College, and he believed that I had some acting and public speaking talents.  He was also the tour leader for our trip to Europe and Israel in 1973.  I set out to drive down to Anderson and found his grave next to his wife in a cemetery there.  I spent some time with him and thanking him for all he did for me.  I think it is important to thank those who have gone before you.  There was also a neat antique store I found coming back from Anderson.

 I had a friend who worked in Augusta, so I set out to go there.  I had a map of how to get there from Greenville.  It had me go through a lot of tiny towns.  When I got to Edgefield, the map had me go down a road and turn to the left.  When I did, I found myself on a dead end road with a lot of Confederate flags in the yards.  I had to turn around quickly.  Some of those places don't take kindly to strangers.  I found that out that night at White Oak, when we were on "Sherman's Road".  You can refer back to that story, too.  I found the road to take me to Augusta.  After visiting with my friend and going to another neat antique store, I headed back to Greenville.  I made that trip a few times.

 In between Greenville and Augusta is Greenwood.  The town where my father was born, and where my parents are buried.  I would stop at the small Magnolia Cemetery in downtown Greenwood to spend time with my parents.  I would clean the weeds from the stones surrounding the Durst family plot.  There is one spot left for me next to my Mother.  Please make sure they put me there one day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment