Monday, November 16, 2020

Sunshine

  Paris Mountain State Park would have free concerts from time to time.  There was a small stage and an amphitheater made of stone.  So, it was announced that the folk singer Jonathan Edwards was going to play for free.  He had a hit called "Sunshine" back in 1971.  A lot of radio stations didn't play it at the time, because the word "damned" was in it.  Some stations bleeped the word.  That was the environment back then.  I was excited to see him for free.

 The show was to start around 7pm.  I got there early to get a good seat.  I even played around on the stage for a few minutes.  It's the performer in me.  People started coming into the area for the show.  A few "roadies" showed up to set up the sound and lights.  A man was introduced as Jonathan Edwards, and he began to sing.  I noticed he seemed younger than I would have thought for a guy who had a hit in 1971, but maybe he looked young for his age.  His music was pretty good as acoustic folk.  I noticed that some in the audience started looking puzzled at his song selection.  None of the songs were familiar.  He had just about finished his first set, when someone from the audience yelled out for him to play "Sunshine".  He stopped and said he wasn't THAT Jonathan Edwards.  They just had the same name.  He said THAT Jonathan Edwards was from Minnesota.  He was from Atlanta.

 Even the newspaper had advertised this singer as the one who had the hit "Sunshine".  So, most of us got up and left.  I don't know how many stayed for his second set, but I don't think there were many.  I kind of felt sorry for this guy.  I am sure that audiences had been confused like that before.  As we headed toward the parking lot, there was a lot of grumbling.  At least it was free.

No comments:

Post a Comment