Thursday, July 11, 2019

Antioch

 As mentioned previously, my two best friends during this time were Chris and Del.  Both had moved to the Nashville area to pursue their music career.  They comprised The Cobbwebs, which I wrote some lyrics for.
 By 1999, Del had moved back to Columbia because of some issues he had with another roommate.  Chris had started dating a girl named Janita.  He proposed to her, and their weeding was scheduled for May 15th.  Del and I drove up there for the wedding.  We got there in time for the rehearsal, even though we weren't actually in the wedding itself.  I had not met Janita until then, but found her to be funny and delightful.  A perfect match for Chris.  They had us staying in a motel along with the family in Antioch, TN where Chris and Janita lived.
 The wedding was nice and intimate.  Afterwards, the reception was held by a lake outside.  Chris had made a CD of songs that were very appropriate to the two of them.  I got a copy of it for my birthday about a month later.  That night, Del and I went to Denny's for supper and were scheduled to leave the next day to drive back to Columbia.  Our plan was to go by Rock City on the way home.  I had never seen Rock City, even though I had grown up seeing signs on barns around NC and TN to "See Rock City".
 As we turned into the parking lot, Del said he wasn't feeling very well and asked if it would be okay not to go to Rock City.  I was disappointed, but we were in his car, so I bowed to his wishes.  I was driving.  He said that we had to stop in the parking lot, as he had to throw up.  He did.  After that time, I continued to drive down toward Atlanta, stopping every twenty minutes for him to throw up.  He had gotten food poisoning the night before apparently.  What would have been around a two hour drive took four with him throwing up every 20 minutes.  It was like clockwork.
 When we finally got to Atlanta, I had to get something to eat.  I pulled into a McDonald's and asked Del if he wanted to eat anything or have anything to drink.  He said no and wanted to stay in the car.  I ate in the restaurant, and Del threw up more in the parking lot.  I felt bad for those customers who might have seen him, because they might think he was sick due to the food there.  Sorry. McDonald's.
 We finally got back to Columbia with Del still throwing up.  He actually felt better the next day.  Maybe, he just needed to get back home.  I just know I was glad to get into my car, which I had left at Del's house.  No more throwing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment