Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Rich's

 I was burned out from working in retail and was looking for other work.  After all, I had worked at Belk, Sanger Harris and JB White's.  It was time for a change.  I looked everywhere for a job.  I had taken a little time off from my Charlotte experience to unwind, but I was still looking.
 I went back to Columbia Mall to put in an application at Rich's Department Store.  I really didn't want to work there, but I was getting desperate.  I had rent to pay.  I went into the Human Resources office, and the lady there asked me if I had worked for Phil Barrett.  I said yes.  He was our store manager at Belk.  She said that she didn't need to check my references, because I was coming to her from a good person in Phil.  It pays to know people.
 I was hired to work in their Luggage Department.  I had experience in that area from other stores, so it was an easy fit.  The department was next to the employee breakroom.  I had two stockrooms in the department.  Across from Luggage was Housewares, and next to Luggage was TV's.  I liked spending my time in TV's, as it got kind of boring in Luggage.  One day, the supervisor for Housewares came to me and wanted me to do stock work in her department.  She was not my supervisor, and I told her that was not my area.  It was made clear to me that I had to do what any supervisor assigned me to do.  I grumbled but did it.
 Word got around town that I was in Luggage, and the business started to pick up.  I only worked in that department for three months.  I would be transferred to another department, which I will cover next.  One thing about Rich's:  if they liked you, they would move you around.  I thought the goal was to make a statement in your assigned place.  Their goal was to move successful sellers to other places.  Interesting concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment