Monday, October 15, 2018

Ginger

 In 1991, I sent a letter to an actress named Ginger Lynn Allen.  It was mostly a letter to sign up for her fan club.  She had been an adult film actress, and had done some mainstream roles too.  She responded to my letter, and I was put on her mailing list.
 As time went on, we became friends, more than just a fan to her.  She had recorded a 12" dance single, which was never released.  She sent me three of the records.  I gave two of them as Christmas presents.  I kept the third, which was autographed to me.  A few years later, a record producer in California contacted me about letting him borrow the record.  It seems that he had heard about Ginger's record and had contacted her about releasing it on a compilation cd.  She told him that I was the only one that she knew that had a copy of it.  So, I asked her permission and sent it to the producer.  He released the cd, and I got a credit on the booklet.
 I got Christmas presents from her each year, including a teddy bear one year.  It sits in my living room today.  I told her early on that I would not judge her for her work.  I knew that was just her job, and she was not like that in real life.  After a few years, I shared the gospel with her, and she accepted it.  I also helped her with a charity close to her heart--cystic fibrosis.
 She also was engaged to Charlie Sheen.  I knew that was not the best relationship to have, but sometimes love is blind.  After they broke up, and he married Denise Richards, Ginger was going through her attic and came upon some of Charlie's clothes.  She asked me what she should do about the clothes.  I told her not to give them back to him, but rather sell them to make money for her charity.  She did just that.
 When I moved into my apartment in 1994, Ginger was one of the first people to call and congratulate me on my new digs.  We didn't talk long, but it was great to hear from her.  In 2009-10, I was homeless.  I will talk about that more in depth later, but Ginger was very helpful in keeping my head in the game.  Her support helped me in not giving up on myself.  And, I supported her when she contracted cancer.  We are a mutual support bond.
 Even though we are 3000 miles away, we still have a bond.  Friendship is something between two people.  I am glad I can call her my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment