Sunday, February 28, 2016

Ants

 I transferred from Anderson College to Presbyterian College in 1973.  My choices were Lander College in Greenwood or PC in Clinton.  I didn't want to go to school where my Grandmother lived, so I decided on PC.  They had a very good reputation for having a good Drama program, and they did. 
 My roommate was chosen for me.  He was a black basketball player.  He liked to party at night and sleep for a couple of hours before getting up to go to class.  He had an 8:00am class.  Most of my classes didn't start until at least 10am.  So, he would get up and put on James Brown's song "I've got ants in my pants, and I need to dance".  He used that song to wake up.  Unfortunately, it woke me up too.  I liked James Brown but not that early. 
 I lived with this roommate for about a week.  I couldn't stand his parties and his schedule.  We mutually agreed to seek out other roommates.  The dorm counselor found someone for me.  His name was Gary, and he was in the same boat as me, because he didn't get along with his assigned roommate.  So, Gary and I joined forces.  He was a good guy, although somewhat bigoted.  We had long talks at night, and by the end of the year, I had helped him work through some of his wrong thoughts.  More about that situation later.

No comments:

Post a Comment