Monday, September 14, 2026

Fonda

  I am naturally a very shy person. For those who have seen me on the stage or in a public forum, you might think differently, but I know how to put on a front. In unfamiliar social situations, I would rather go sit in a corner and be alone. 

 I have also met some very famous people. Actors, musicians, politicians, religious leaders, and more. From a young age, I saw these people as just people. Just because they might be well-known doesn't mean they aren't people just like you or me. 

 There was a bookstore in Columbia called The Happy Bookseller. They would bring in famous people who had written books to be signed for the public. That's where I met Jack Palance, and we laughed about if Burt Lancaster knew how to dance. 

 One person who came to the store was Jane Fonda. She had written an exercise book. I got to the store before the line formed to meet her, but I couldn't bring myself to go up and introduce myself to her. Instead, I hid in the shelves and looked at her from afar. My shyness took over. Maybe it was because I had seen her naked in films. Maybe it was because of her larger than life family. I don't know, but I regret not at least saying hello. Whatever you may think of her as a person, she is someone that triggered my shyness. I wish it wasn't so.

No comments:

Post a Comment