Monday, August 3, 2026

Wandering

  There are a lot of techniques to acting.  Some actors will totally immerse themselves into a character, and they will be that character even at home. I don't like to do that.  I will develop a character, but it remains onstage.  I loved doing accents.  I worked for three months developing an English accent for a play at Anderson College.  I listened to records and speeches to hone the accent.  It turned out okay.  I used the accent in other places besides the stage just for fun.  I had to do an old Jewish man's accent for another play.  It was all about the cadence.  I did a northern American accent for another play.  I can also do a backwoods Southern accent on demand.  Accents allowed me to delve deep into the character and make it more believable.

 As I have said before, I have had to deal with terrible stage fright.  Even though concentrating on my lines and blocking out the audience helps with being afraid, I found one technique that helps with the fright that works the best for me.  I don't know if anyone else uses this technique, or maybe I am the only one, but it has to do with wandering.

 I know my lines (usually).  I know who my character is (always).  I know where I need to stand on the stage (mostly).  So, if I have all of that down, I like my mind to wander.  I think about other things.  Sometimes, I will look out into the audience and make eye contact with someone.  Just for a moment.  Sometimes, I will see someone in the audience who is not paying attention.  Just for a moment.  Sometimes, I will think about other things like what am I going to do when the play is over.  Sometimes, my mind will just take over, and I think about random things.  It is almost like my stage presence, and my mind are in two different places. This is how I have learned to relax on stage.  It isn't like I am in a dream world, or a drug-induced trip.  It's like I am looking down on myself doing my work.  It is very calming.

 I don't recommend this technique for everyone.  If something goes wrong in a play, as it often does, you have to be able to adapt to the moment.  If that happens, it is best to come back to the reality of your concentration to fix it, so that the audience never knows.  Most of the time, they never do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment